The overall health of your whole-being is an important part of the baby-making equation.
Proper nutrient intake and dietary planning will help to prepare your body for the upcoming changes and for growing a healthy baby. Healthy eating will help you to function at your best, maintain a healthy weight and improve your chances of getting pregnant naturally!
Nourish Your Reproductive Health with a Fertility Diet
Guidelines for eating a fertility diet to enhance reproductive health:
- Increase your vegetable intake. Make sure to include a variety of dark green, red and orange vegetables, as well as legumes such as beans and peas
- Add fruit, especially whole organic fruits
- Include various sources of protein.
- Eat organic animal products
- Include 8-10 ounces per week of fish with low mercury content such as salmon, shrimp, Pollock, tilapia, trout and cod
- Eat whole grains
- Try to consume whole-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese
- Avoid soy products
- Avoid ‘low-fat’ products
- Avoid refined sugars and processed foods.
Iron and folic acid (in the form of folate) are important nutrients to consume during pregnancy, but it’s important to take a b-complex. By increasing your folic acid intake prior to becoming pregnant, you will be ensuring that the fetal neural tube – the part of the embryo that becomes the brain and spinal cord – will be developing properly.
Proper nutrition will also help to ensure that you are at a healthy body weight prior to pregnancy. Investing in your health by achieving and maintaining a healthy weight will reduce your risks during pregnancy for you and your baby. Excess weight can also contribute to factors such as high blood pressure and diabetes during pregnancy. Take the time to examine your eating patterns and behavior by embarking on a healthy eating plan prior to becoming pregnant.
Check out my blog “Get Health Before You Get Pregnant, It Matters!” for more information about preparing your body for pregnancy + for a more detailed guide to eating to improve fertility.
Let’s connect so we can help you achieve your health and wellness goals.
If you are ready to get pregnant or have actively been trying to have a baby (TTC), we are here to help you get pregnant and assure that you and your future baby will be healthy. Join my Private Facebook community so I can help you get pregnant.