The overall health of your whole being is an important factor when aiming for pregnancy. Proper nutrient intake and dietary planning can help to prepare your body for the upcoming changes and for growing a healthy baby. Healthy eating will help you to function at your best, maintain a healthy weight and prevent disease.
These are nutritional factors to consider when preparing your body for an upcoming pregnancy:
- Increase your vegetable intake. Make sure to include a variety of dark green, red and orange vegetables, as well as legumes such as beans and peas
- Add fruit, especially whole organic fruits
- Include various sources of protein such as lean meat and poultry, eggs, legumes, nuts and seeds
- Eat organic animal products
- Include 8-10 ounces per week of fish with low mercury content such as salmon, shrimp, pollock, tilapia, trout and cod
- Eat whole grains
- Try to consume whole-fat milk, yogurt and cheese
- Avoid soy products
- Avoid ‘low-fat’ products
- Limit sugar intake, especially soda
- Limit salt and sodium intake
Iron and folic acid (in the form of folate) are important nutrients to consume during pregnancy, but it’s important to take a b-complex . By increasing your folic acid intake prior to becoming pregnant, you will be ensuring that the fetal neural tube – the part of the embryo that becomes the brain and spinal cord – will be developing properly.
Proper nutrition will also help to ensure that you are at a healthy body weight prior to pregnancy. Investing in your health by achieving and maintaining a healthy weight will reduce your risks during pregnancy for you and your baby. Excess weight can also contribute to factors such as high blood pressure and diabetes during pregnancy. Take the time to examine your eating patterns and behavior by embarking on a healthy eating plan prior to becoming pregnant. Check out my blog “Do I need to get healthy before I try to get pregnant? Will it really make a difference?” for more information about preparing your body for pregnancy + access to the the Ultimate Fertility Diet!
At AIM Wellness Clinic we are here to help assure that you and your future baby will be healthy. We invite you to contact us for a consultation to ensure that you are on the right path to your healthful destination.